Thursday, December 25, 2008

Thankful Thursday

Merry Christmas! Today was an exciting day. The food... the presents... the presents... the food. My kids got all they wanted plus more (my mom goes a little bonkers since they are her only grandchildren). Being with family is great and sometimes stressful. But I am very thankful to have the crazy, insane family I have.

My husband's cousin has been staying with us because he came down to visit his friend who is dying of bile duct cancer (cholangiocarcinoma). I've met the friend, Gene, a dozen times and he's a great guy. He actually came over to our house tonight and stayed for awhile. It's been really hard for him to eat anything because the way the food tastes to him, and he's lost 40 lbs. Gene wasn't a big guy to begin with.

He is ready for his time on earth to be over, which is very sad and difficult, but is realistic in his eyes. What's worse is: he's estranged from his son.

My dad passed away from bladder cancer in 1999 when my daughter was only 2 months old. It was a very traumatic and awful time, but I'm glad I had the small amount of time I had with him. He made me into the person I am today. I pray that I make him proud of me every day. And I am so glad I got to be there his last days. There has never been any regret. He knew I loved him and vice versa.

Now, I didn't mean for this to be a depressing post. I just wanted to say, cherish what you have while it's still in front of you. While you can still reach out and hug them and fight with them. For no matter how crazy, they are YOURS and you are THEIRS!


Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. I know you make your dad proud.:-) Prayers and thoughts for your friend. I'm glad he has friends who care around him.

    God Bless,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete