Saturday, January 17, 2009

Bird Lake Moon

One of my writer New Year's Resolutions is to read 200 YA novels this year. Some will be new, some old and some that I'm embarassed to say have been out forever and I haven't read. So bear with me as I try to accomplish this and post about these books.


Spencer thought the house might be haunted.


Mitch knew it wasn't. And he knew why.


The whole time Spencer and Mitch hung out together at Bird Lake that summer, there were secrets keeping them apart.


And maybe a secret knowledge keeping them together, too---together like members of the same tribe. Like friends.

(front flap copy from Amazon)


This is a quiet book. It's about divorce, loss and the things these kids do in order to move on. I enjoyed reading it, but I didn't see why it was in the YA section (maybe it wasn't suppose to be?). I always love the way Kevin Henkes handles these big subjects for kids.

*******

I give it a 7 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment