Saturday, January 24, 2009

Book Reviews

Okay, I'm a little behind on the books I've recently read. Here are a couple:


My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again.

All I wanted was to make friends, meet boys, and keep on being ordinary. I don't even know what that means anymore. It all started on the day that I saw my first ghost--and the ghost saw me.

Now there are ghosts everywhere and they won't leave me alone. To top it all off, I somehow got myself locked up in Lyle House, a "special home" for troubled teens. Yet the home isn't what it seems. Don't tell anyone, but I think there might be more to my housemates than meets the eye. The question is, whose side are they on? It's up to me to figure out the dangerous secrets behind Lyle House...before its skeletons come back to haunt me. (front jacket flap) 2008


I am intrigued by ghost stories and this one didn't disappoint. There is plenty of tension throughout that keeps you turning pages. You really end up caring for these characters. I did feel a little cheated by the ending, but you can go on Ms. Armstrong's blog and read the first few chapters of the sequel, The Awakening, which comes out May 2009.



As children, Jennifer Harris and Cameron Quick were both social outcasts. They were also each other's only friend. So when Cameron disappeared without warning, Jennifer thought she'd lost the one person who would ever understand her. Now in high school, Jennifer has been transformed. Known as Jenna, she is popular, happy, and dating---everything "Jennifer" couldn't be. But she still can't shake the memory of her long-lost friend.
When Cameron suddenly reappears, they both are confronted with memories of their shared past and the drastically different paths their lives have taken.
Sweethearts is a story about the power of memory, the bond of friendship, and the quiet resilience of our childhood hearts. (front jacket flap)
This story broke my heart (in a good way). It had a lot of emotion and made you really think about how lives are changed by one action. It was bittersweet in the end.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Sara, I like your blog. I'm glad you're doing some book reviews. I'm trying to read a lot more books this year, too, although I haven't made a great start. January had too many other things going on, so I haven't read much. I'll be checking in on your blog. See you next weekend at the picture book workshop. (I think I'll go to the library to read instead of B & N.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeannie. I don't post as often as I should, but that darn "real" job gets in the way. :) I'm looking forward to seeing you at the pb workshop.

    ReplyDelete